Internet safety is of upmost importance to us. Through blogging, the students will have the opportunity to learn about appropriate online behaviours in an authentic and supervised setting.

The following guidelines have been established to ensure the safety of our students when blogging:

• Posts written by the students are checked by Mrs Robertson or Miss Elliott before they are published on the blog.
  • Posts WILL NOT include personal details about students such as surnames, addresses, email address, specific plans, date of birth and other personal information.
  • Students will only be identified by their first name.
  • All comments submitted have to be approved by Mrs Robertson or Miss Elliott before they are included on the blog.
  • All students must have parental permission to:
  • – comment or post on the class blog/other blogs.
  • – have their photo and work posted on the blog.
  • Parents who leave comments must use their first name only so as not to identify their child.
  • All students must abide by the blogging rules that we have established accross the school.
  • Parents are asked to proofread comments that students write on blogs at home.

Blogging Guidelines

The following are some Blogging Guidelines for Students and Parents.

1. Only post things that you would want everyone (in school, at home, in other countries) to know. Ask yourself: Is this something I want everyone to see?
  2. Do not share personal information. Ask yourself: Could someone find me (in real life) based on this information?
  3. Think before you post. Ask yourself: What could be the consequences of this post?
  4. Know who you’re communicating with. Ask yourself: Who is going to look at this, and how are they going to interpret my words?
  5. Consider your audience. Ask yourself: Do I have a good reason/purpose to do this?
  6. Know how to give constructive feedback. Ask yourself: What will I cause by writing this post?
  7. Treat other people the way you want to be treated. Ask yourself: Would I want someone to say this to me?
  8. Use appropriate language and proper grammar and spelling. Ask yourself: Would I want this post to be graded for proper grammar and spelling?
  9. Only post information that you can verify is true (no gossiping). Ask yourself: Is this inappropriate, immature or bullying?
  10. Anytime you use media from another source, be sure to properly cite the creator of the original work. Ask yourself: Who is the original creator of this work?

Student Blogging Guidelines by Kim Cofino

http://www.techlearning.com/blogs/23336