The video clip below shows a net made from Polydron. You can change the net using the drop down menu on the right hand side. When you press play, you will see the attempt to assemble the net into a solid 3D shape. Sometimes they will succeed, sometimes they will fail.
Before watching each video clip, consider these questions:
- Can you imagine folding the net up into a solid shape?
- Do you think that the net will fold into a shape with all sides clicked together?
- Can you imagine the shape of the final solid if the net does indeed correctly fold together?
Record your predictions and discuss with a partner before watching the the video for each net.
- Were you correct? Was the result a surprise in any way?
- Try again to imagine how the shape folded together.
Draw an accurate drawing of the net in your book. Can you see which sides joined together? Can you indicate this clearly on your diagram? Can you prove your net works?
What did you find out today?
What questions do you still have?